Great recipes don't get lost they get memorized. I love breakfast. I remember having my mom serve my brothers, sister, and I breakfast each day before school. It was a family event which is one reason I love it so. This recipe I make for my kids before they hit the books.
Carlson Family Breakfast Hash
- 1 onion chopped, I used a bag of frozen chopped onion
- ½ green pepper, I used a half bag of frozen green peppers
- ½ red pepper, I used a half bag of frozen red peppers
- 2 cups cooked butternut squash, cubed – guess what I had leftovers so it was already done for me
- 2 cups Sausage (or ham cut into bite size pieces – and again I had it leftover so super easy)
- 1 apple cut into bit size pieces
- 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil
Sauté the onions and peppers in the oil until soft and translucent. After about 4 minutes add in the apple. Let this cook for a few minutes before adding in the rest. Heat until everything is hot. (about 5 minutes)
I fried two eggs to add on top of each portion. It was yummy.
Options: Vary the amounts for your family size, but if you make a large batch you have breakfast for the week all done. Use Chorizo or other flavorful meat you have on hand in place of the ham. Substituting sweet potato or other winter squash for the butternut squash adds a new twist on the taste. I like to add cinnamon to this dish too. If you like other veggies add them in too. But always, always enjoy. If you have someone whose not fond of eggs, it is super yummy on its own.
Enjoy good food,