This morning Lisa from the 6:15 brought in two beautiful bouquets of Kale. She was sharing her garden's bounty. I am a fan of Kale. After making Kale chips I used the rest to make a double batch of Minestrone Soup. What didn't fit in my crockpot is simmering on the stove- Wow does it smell good.
Minestrone Soup in the Crockpot
- 2 cups cannelloni beans or other favorite white beans
- 10 cups chicken stock
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and diced
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 28- ounce can crushed tomato
- 2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 ½ cups diced zucchini
- 1 lb. kale (remove the stems and chop coarsely)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Place Cannelloni beans and the chicken stock in a crockpot. Heat a large frying pan add the oil, garlic, carrots, onions, and celery. Saute until tender and add to the pot. Add the tomato, potatoes, parsley, and the basil. Cook for 4-6 hours on high. Add the zucchini, kale. Cook 30 minutes more or until the soup is nice and thick. Add salt and pepper to taste.
I can't wait for tonight.