Do supplements count?
Dietary Supplement. Definition, Merriam Webster: "a product taken orally that contains one or more ingredients (as vitamins or amino acids) that are intended to supplement one's diet"
Supplements are intended to be just that, an addition to already sound nutrition practices.
Since many supplements come in a bag or bottle, and have lengthy ingredients lists, they do not fit the definition of either "fresh" or "whole" foods. But they are not totally useless either.
At Cr8 Fitness we work hard at not being a supplement pusher. We do carry supplements and will make recommendations that in our studied opinion can make a difference in your overall health and can help "fill the gaps" in your diet under certain circumstances.
A high quality Fish Oil is my first recommendation. I'll give you 5 reasons why I take it and you make the call for yourself.
- My grandmother died of a stroke and my mom has always had blood pressure issues. One of the main reasons a doctor will recommend fish oil is for its healthy heart proponents. I'd like my ticker and my whole circulatory system to run without any hiccups.
- My immediate family has a history of 4 different types of cancers. Fish oil has been proven to help slow or even stop the growth of cancer cells. As far as preventing it in the first place that is still being studied but many believe it is true. I'll take any benefit I can when it comes to cancer.
- Boost my brain health. Omega-3s are vital for normal brain function and development. Low levels of omega-3s may accelerate brain aging and contribute to deficits in brain function. People with depression or a mild memory loss should consider taking omega-3s from fish oil. Although fish oil is typically praised for its benefits for heart health, it also has incredible effects on brain and mental health that are worthy of some attention.
- Fish oil has strong anti-inflammatory effects and can help reduce symptoms of inflammatory diseases. Inflammation is your immune system's way of fighting infection and treating injuries. Because fish oil has anti-inflammatory properties, it may help treat conditions involving chronic inflammation. It can significantly reduce joint pain and stiffness.
- Beyond those great reasons, your skin will benefit, your hair, your metabolism, and even your bones benefit from taking a fish oil.
With all these reasons, I've chosen to take a fish oil supplement daily. While I enjoy eating fish, I don't eat it enough to gain the same benefits. This is easier for me.
SFH is a high quality brand that delivers. Right from the SFH website I read how they are different than others fish oil supplement companies.
- Concentrated fish oil in just 4 capsules!
- 2 capsules twice daily delivers approximately 3000mg of EPA and DHA
- Enteric coating is applied to target the oil for GI absorption which helps maximize effects.
- Enteric coating also means less fish burps!
- Third party tested: our SO3 oil meets or exceeds CRN, GOED, WHO, and IFOS.
- SFH is derived from a mixture of Alaskan Pollock, sardines, herring, and anchovies which means it is naturally derived and never created in a laboratory setting.
I choose to listen to what science tells me is true and I enjoy the benefits I feel from fish oil.
To Your Best Health,