Meal Preparation: Tips and Ideas
1. Create a morning, evening or weekend ritual.
- Do your grocery shopping on the same day(s) each week
- Prep food meals on Sunday, the night before and/or in the morning.
- Get into a routine to make food prep efficient and effective.
2. Pre-cook chicken.
- Purchase boneless skinless chicken in bulk and season to taste.
- Cook in large Pyrex dish, covered in tin foil at 350-400° for 20-40 minutes.
- Store in a glass container and you have a ready-made protein source.
3. Pre-chop chicken and beef for stir-fries.
- Purchase boneless chicken and beef in bulk.
- Chop meat into 1-inch cubes, portion into 4-8oz servings, and freeze them.
- Quick tip if you're in a hurry: thaw the meat in bowl of tepid water for 10-15 minutes.
- Make a tasty and balanced stir-fry, seasoned to your liking.
4. Pre-chop fresh vegetables.
- Chop each vegetable into desired sizes and store in individual containers.
- Use them or omelets, salads, stir-fries and more.
- Make large batches of food like chili, stews, stir-fries, and smoothies.
- Pack your own snacks and lunch (by utilizing Tip 1).
- Eat breakfast; or pack a Super Smoothie for on the go nutrition. (there are a ton of free recipes here.)
6. Shop at farmer’s markets, if possible.
- Farmer’s markets provide local, fresh and sustainably grown meat, produce and eggs at reasonable prices.
- You know exactly where, when and how your food was grown.
- You develop a relationship with the people who grow your food.
7. Order by the principles above when at restaurants or school.
- The healthy principles of nutrition do not cease to exist when eating out.
- You still need high-quality: protein, carbs, fruits, vegetables and fats.
8. Spice up your food
- Spices and herbs add tremendous health benefits and flavor to your food.
- Different spices can make tired meals and recipes seem new and exciting.
When I first started changing my family's diet, I worked slowly through this list. Start with one thing this week you can start doing. And do that one thing. It might take a week or two for that to hit a grove, when it does add in the next item on the list. Soon you'll be tackling meal prep like a professional.
To your best health,